- Part Number RVK3405
- 12" of movement, for turning and maneuvering clearance in shortbed trucks
- Automatically latches in both directions so you only have to get out of the truck once to move into maneuvering position.
- Tight tolerances in sliding mechanism, moves smoothly without the rattle.
- Fully articulating coupler head allows front to back and side to side pivoting.
- 1" thick, wrap-around jaws fit kingpin perfectly, eliminating sloppy starts and stops.
- Polyurethane bushings provide a quiet, rattle free towing experience.
- Utilizes the B&W Turnoverball under-bed mounting system. Pull a Gooseneck or a 5th Wheel with the same system.
- Can be removed (two people!) for a clean bed with no rails. No mounting rails means using your truck for more than towing.
- 20,000 lb GTW/5,000 lb VTW
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
Using a wedge and pin box coupler is acceptable with the Patriot and Companion models that use a four-point puck attachment system. A wedge and pin box coupler should not be used with Companion and Companion slider which both mount using the Turnoverball under bed mounting system. The forces generated at that single attachment point by a wedge device can damage the hitch and cause it to fail.
The Companion Slider slides back 12" and locks in that position during tight turning maneuvers. The 12” of adjustment to the back should only be used when extra turning room is needed, and only while operating the tow vehicle at a manuvering speed. For regular towing, the Companion should always be locked in the forward position. Towing with the slider hitch in the back position places the trailer tongue weight behind the rear vehicle axle which may cause unsafe driving characteristics in your vehicle.
The Companion has a medium gray powder-coat finish.
Yes, since all of our hitches in the Companion line use the same coupler head, you may purchase the base that works best for you. Depending on your needs, we offer both stationary and slider versions for the Ram, GM and Ford factory prep packages, as well as the Flat Bed and single point attachment Companion that mount into the Turnoverball.
In January of 2016, we introduced the higher rated 20K RVK3405. The previous model, the RVK3400, was rated at 18K. Due to customer demand for the higher rated RV hitches, we deteremined that the new 3405 would be the hitch we offered exclusively.
You do not need a lube disc when pulling your RV. Using a lube disc is a matter of preference. While utilizing a lube disc is a much cleaner option, you can simply apply an automotive type chassis grease to the top plate of the hitch. If you would prefer a greaseless option, we highly recommend our Amercan made graphite lube disc. https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/graphite-lube-plate
At B&W, there is nothing more important to us than the safety of our customers. Because of our commitment to exceptional design and quality, we often see products on the market that refer to B&W products or state that they can be used with B&W products. As a rule of thumb, we do not recommend any products that is used in conjuction with our mounting system that has not been manufactured and tested by B&W, even if that product states it can be used with B&W products. Doing so will void our warranty, but more importantly, could create a safety issue.
We have been made aware of a product that is of special concern. This product replaces the pin box on a 5th wheel trailer and changes the pivot point from the hitch jaws to a point rearward of the hitch. It is our opinion that this configuration creates stress loads that fall outside the normal testing done on 5th wheel hitches. We are concerened that moving the pivot point rearward as much as 20 inches puts stress on the hitch (and the truck) that has not been widely studied. Therefore, we strongly discourage the use of our Companion 5th Wheel Hitch with one of these pin boxes. Any product that prevents the king pin from rotating within the jaws of the Companion with a wedge or other device and moves the center of rotation to a point other than the locking jaws should not be used with the Companion.
When the Companion was engineered, the goal was to raise the bar in the 5th Wheel Hitch industry. We did that by offering a truly versatile hitch that has many desirable features including jaws that tightly fit the king, and a coupler that is cushioned and pivots in four directions. We also championed the ability to have a rail-free bed when not towing, with a single point attachment to the mounting system. The result is a sturdy, high quality hitch with a superb safety record. This document in no way challenges the quality of the Companion.
- Product Weight: Base 212 lbs; Coupler 75 lbs
- Footprint: 34.75" Wide x 45" Deep
- Measurement from center of hitch post to front edge (cab-side) of hitch: 15"
- Three vertical adjustments from 17" to 19"
- 2" of front to back adjustment with 2 coupler positions